I am an associate professor of Computer Science at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I am interested in intelligent user interfaces, health informatics, social computing, and spatial interfaces. I am the program chair of ACM IUI (Intelligent User Interfaces) 2017, the general chair of IEEE ICHI (Healthcare Informatics) 2016, and the program chair of IEEE ICHI 2015. I am the Associate Editor of ACM Transactions on Intelligent Interactive Systems (TiiS) and Topics in Cognitive Science.
My research lies at the intersection of cognitive science and human-computer Interaction (HCI). I am interested in applying theories from cognitive science, HCI, social computing, and spatial cognition to areas such as education and healthcare. My interests in HCI stems from the desire to better understand how users interact with artefacts to accomplish different tasks in different environments. I am interested in how features of intelligent interfaces guide human interaction and impact performance at both the individual and social levels. I am particularly interested in education and healthcare. Check out the Cascade Lab to learn more about our research.
Recent Events and Publications
- New journal issue appeared in Topics in Cognitive Science:
- Interfacing Mind and Environment: The Central Role of Search in Cognition. 7 (3), 2015. [link]
- Book Chapters:
- From distributed cognition to collective intelligence: Supporting cognitive search to facilitate massive collaboration (2015). Mass Collaboration and Education, Springer.
- Chinthammit, W., Yoo, S., Parker, C., Turland, S., Pederson, S., Fu, W.-T. (2015). MolyPoly: An Immersive Gesture Controlled Approach to Visuo-Spatial Learning of Organic Chemistry. The Cognitive Effects of Spatial Interaction, Learning, and Ability. Springer-Verlag. 3
- Fu, W.-T. (2015). The Central Role of Search as a Foundation for Bounded and Adaptive Rationality. Mind and Machines.
- Liao, V., & Fu, W.-T. (2014). Age differences in Credibility Assessment of Online Health Information. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction.
- Referred Conference Proceedings:
- Liao, Q. V., Fu, W.-T., Mamidi, S. S. (2015). It is All About Perspective: An Exploration of Mitigating Selective Exposure with Aspect Indicators. In Proceedings of ACM CHI conference.
- Zhao, C. J., Fu, W.-T., Zhang, H., Duh, H., Zhao, S. (2015). To Risk or Not to Risk? Improving Financial Risk Taking of Older Adults by Online Social Information. In Proceedings of the ACM CSCW conference.
- Stannus, S., Fu, W.-T., Lucieer, A. (2014). Natural 7DoF Input for 3D Navigation. In Proceedings of OzCHI.
- Stannus, S., Lucieer, A., Fu, W.-T. (2014). Natural 7DoF Navigation and Interaction in 3D Geovisualizations. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology (VRST).
- Liao, Q. V. & Fu, W.-T. (2014). Expert Voices in Echo Chambers: Effects of Source Expertise Indicators on Exposure to Diverse Opinions. In Proceedings of the ACM CHI conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. [Best Paper -- Honorable Mention]
- Xu, A., Yang, X., Rao, H., Fu, W.-T., Huang, S.-W., Bailey, B. P. (2014). Show me the Money! An Analysis of Project Updates during Crowdfunding Campaigns. In Proceedings of the ACM CHI conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
- Rao, H., Xu, A., Yang, X., Fu, W.-T. (2014) Emerging Dynamics in Crowdfunding Campaigns. In International Social Computing, Behavioral-Cultural Modeling and Prediction Conference.
- Liao, Q. V.& Fu, W. (2014) Can You Hear Me Now? Mitigating the Echo Chamber Effect by Source Position Indicators. 17th ACM conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing.